Saturday, November 14, 2009

Jellybean Soup

Well it isn't really jellybean soup actually it is 15 bean soup, this soup has been on my list of things to try for quite a while I finally gave it a try this weekend. I got from the grocery store "Hurst's Ham Beens" 15 Bean Soup mix. It was a 1 1/4 pound of beans, yes that is a lot of beans, the varieties noted on the package were:
  1. Northern
  2. Pinto
  3. Large Lima
  4. Blackeye
  5. Garbonzo
  6. Baby Lima
  7. Green Split Pea
  8. Kidney
  9. Cranberry Bean
  10. Small White
  11. Pink Bean
  12. Small Red
  13. Yellow Split Pea
  14. Lentil
  15. Navy
  16. White Kidney
  17. Black Bean
Now you say that is 17, yes and the package said it would contain 15 of the following, so 2 are missing, I really did not audit the beans I just made the soup.




They were quite colorful and my 4 year old was quite excited by the prospect of "jellybean soup" well if that is what it takes to get her to eat it then jellybean soup it is.

I had to soak the beans overnight in 2 quarts of water, which was 8 cups, I was surprised the beans nearly tripled in size once rehydrated.

I followed the package directions, drained the beans, then cooked for 2.5 hours in 8 cups of water, I actually added close to 2 more cups as cooking went on. Add a pound of ham and one diced onion and you have a hearty soup perfect for fall.

The soup is not the prettiest soup but it smelled really good throughout the day cooking it, I served it with mozzarella and cheddar cheese to pretty it up a bit along with a green salad for a filling and yummy meal. And yes the 4-year old she did in fact eat some of the "Jelly Bean soup".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails