Monday, July 12, 2010

UpCrafted Galvanized Pan

I recently found this galvanized tub at a garage sale, it kind of looks like an oil pan of some kind and was in really good condition, and not used for oil. I paid $2.00 and knew I could turn it into something functional and a little bit prettier. I first thought it would make a good container for craft show displays and in the meantime it makes a good table accent.

I originally imagined I would paint it I envisioned hot pink and lime, but after a little online research I remembered I tried this before with not so good results. Also I think it will make a good drink tub so painting it became even less appealing.


My found tub, just needs a quick scrub

To draft a pattern for this, was pretty easy and with basic sewing skills you could do one like it too. Supplies: Paper, tape, pencil, rotary cutter/mat, sewing machine, fabric, thread.

It took about 1/2 yard of fabric. I traced the bottom of the tub and got a 14 inch circle, if I did another I would add 1/4 inch for the seam allowance all the way around making it a 14.5 inch circle. It worked just fine but that is one adjustment I would make.

To make the side pieces you will need three measurements:
Top circumference: 47 inches around
Bottom circumference: 45 inches
Side, to the bottom wrapped around the top and down to the side +1" hem 7.5 inches

You will take your top measurement, divide by two then add 1/4 inch, for me the 2 strips I cut were 23.75 inches long by 7.5 wide.

To compensate the difference from the top to the bottom you will need to trim about 2 inches from the bottom. Do this by dividing the difference by 4 (four sides) and trim this amount from each piec. Angle from the top, starting at the corner to the bottom, at the bottom piece it should be 1/2 inch, so you are cutting a thin long triangle from each piece.

Next, sew right sides together side pieces so you have a big circle, hem. I have a nifty way I pin and mark a starting point. Pin two pins right next to each other, leave these pins in as you sew, when you see them come around this is your stopping point. This is especially helpful if you are using a very close matching or invisible thread.

Sewing tip:
Use 2 pins right close to mark begin/end of stitching


Stop and fit your sides to your pan, at this point you can make and adjustments to the fit before you attatch the bottom circle. I actually found I needed to taper my bottom more, so I went back and stitched another 1/2 inch on my side seams, tapering to the bottom, starting about 1 inch below the hemmed top.

Pin bottom to top, clip less then 1/4 inch into the circle to ease bottom curved seam. I found I needed to add a few pleats along the way to make the fit, these did not show in the end result.

In the end I have a great item that I can make additional covers for, it took about an hour and now that I have the pattern the next one should be even faster.

Just fill with table goodies like napkins, salt and pepper, seasonings, toothpicks, sugar, sweetener, and a vase.

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

There's SHOCKING news in the sports betting world.

It's been said that every bettor needs to look at this,

Watch this or quit placing bets on sports...

Sports Cash System - SPORTS BETTING ROBOT

Related Posts with Thumbnails