Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Prototype Fabrics


I often am working on new ideas and designs. I usually start with paper and calculator, and eventually these ideas move to fabric.

Used to be I would use cheap fabrics and halfway do something, but I found that often did not yield accurate results. I have since changed up this to using "real" fabrics and making actual product. Luckily I have a 5 year old daughter who gets many of these early experiments, so I usually go for girl friendly prints.

I also now use actual materials that I offer for sale, meaning high quality cottons along with any other components that would be used in the final product. I found using the same quality yields more accurate results that I can then apply to my finished line. Using cheaper quality fabrics does not yield the same results and ends up wasting more time and money in the long run. When I used cheaper fabrics when I got to my product fabrics different results meant I had cut into fabrics I hope to sell, sometimes ruining the final product.

Crayon Roll Prototype, 16 crayons, button closure



Crayon Roll, 8 crayons, ribbon tie closure



Note Book/Steno Pad book, working on this for a while

Luckily a quilt shop near me I am able to snag the occasional low cost fabric for my experimentation, I have gotten fabrics as low as 1.00 a yard, this is for hi quality quilt shop cottons.

Practicing with these fabrics is great, I get an item my daughter can use and enjoy and I can make design modifications before I begin using fabrics I hope to offer for sale.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails