Thursday, August 4, 2011

Saltine Toffee Bars

This is a recipe I have had for several years but only make occasionally, not sure why they are amazing...oh yea I remember we practically inhale them. In spite of my husbands rationale these are not particularly healthy or good for you, but really should desserts ALWAYS be healthy?
  • Saltines, enough to cover cookie sheet, about 24 crackers (I also did a mini cookie sheet with an additional 12 crackers, the recipe will yield the single large cookie sheet).
  • 1 cup of butter.
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
  • Nut, any nut will work I used pecans
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or foil and fill with saltines.

Melt butter on stove and stir in sugar, bring to a boil and stir for about 3 minutes.

Pour sugar/butter over saltines, it will cover crackers nearly completely. Back 6-8 minutes.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with chips, return to oven for about 1 minute. Remove from oven with spatula spread the melted chips to cover sugar/butter, sprinkle with nuts.


Refrigerate to set, when cooled remove from cookie sheet and cut using parchment it will easily peel from the tray. I have found it is best to store in air tight container in the fridge or even the freezer.

My taste tester agreed these were DELISH!

2 comments:

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Oooh, I've loved this stuff forever, but didn't realize it was so easy to make! Thanks for sharing--now I can try it for myself.

Lee said...

I make this with club crackers & w/o the chocolate. we call them put-the-fun-in-funeral crackers, because they always show up foor funerals

Related Posts with Thumbnails